ELECTRONIC REGISTRATION WITH THE FIA TO ALL ACCOUNTABLE PERSONS, HELD ON 31ST MARCH 2023 AT SILVER SPRINGS HOTEL-KAMPALA
The Financial Intelligence Authority (FIA) in partnership with the UNODC Eastern Africa held an awareness drive to digitally register all Accountable Persons (APs) in the country. This took place at the Silver Springs Hotel in Kampala on 31st March, 2023.
Over 400 members of the public attended the awareness session online, in addition to the 40 plus members who attended physically. This is a good indicator of increased public interest and understanding of the AML/CFT matters.
The implications of the e-registration are as follows:
- All Accountable Persons who have manually registered with the FIA hence issued with physical/hardcopy certificates of registration shall be electronically registered onto the goAML platform and issued with Electronic Certificates of Registration under the same registration number.
- E-Registration Certificates issued take precedence over the previously issued hard copy.
- Online E-Registration certificates shall be issued to all Accountable Persons who register with FIA henceforth.
- All Accountable Persons who have not registered with FIA should electronically register on the goAML platform henceforth.
- The process of electronically registering with the FIA is stipulated in the Guideline on Registration found on our website - www.fia.go.ug
Failure to register with the Authority is an offence under Section 133 of the Anti-Money Laundering Act, 2013 (as amended) and attracts penalties stipulated in Section 136(2)of the Anti-Money Laundering Act, 2013 (as amended).