The Financial Intelligence Authority(FIA) is Uganda's national centre for the receipt of financial data, analysis and dissemination of financial intelligence to competent authorities. The Financial Intelligence Authority was established by the Anti-Money Laundering Act, 2013(AMLA) and has the mandate to combat money Laundering, countering Terrorism financing and countering Proliferation.
1. Enforce compliance with the AMLA.
2. Enhance identification of proceeds of crime.
3. Increase public awareness and understanding of matters related to Money Laundering, Terrorism Financing and Proliferation.
4. Collection and dissemination of information to competent authorities.
5. Strengthen international cooperation in issues related to Money Laundering and Terrorism Financing.
The Financial Intelligence Authority (FIA) is the central Agency for receiving Suspicious Transactions Reports (STRs), Large Cash Transactions Reports (LCTRs) and cross border movement of cash and Bearer Negotiable Instruments (BNI) reports.
The FIA analyses information from the above reports, and coordinates with other competent authorities, Law enforcement agencies and other stakeholders.
The FIA disseminates Financial Intelligence reports to appropriate Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs) for further investigations and prosecution.
To foster the Integrity of the Financial System through effective Detection and Prevention of Financial Crimes.
To be a center of excellence in combating Money Laundering and Terrorism Financing.